NVESS believes that school is a second home for all children and youth to learn and develop holistically. It should be a place that fosters the values of responsibility, respect, care, civility, academic excellence in a safe and conducive learning environment. Therefore, the school code of conduct has been designed to lay down the guiding principle for creating safe healthy and conducive learning environment in the school that supports students in building social and behavioral skills besides academic learning. The school code of conduct comprises principles, standard of behavior, responsibilities, roles of staffs and students, consequences for violation of rules and regulations. These principles guide school staffs, teachers, students, parents and guardians in order to develop positive school environment and better student outcomes. These guiding principles must be studied and embraced by all stakeholders to ensure better learning environment and academic excellence.
2. Purpose of Code of Conduct
2.1 Code of Conduct for Student
The code of conduct for students has been drafted to provide the following information and guidelines to the students:
- The code of conduct provides informational guidelines, rules and regulations to govern student conduct during school, en route to and from school and at school related activities.
- The code of conduct outlines the attendance policy, appropriate student attire and behavior requirements.
- It outlines actions and conduct which interfere with or violates school rules and regulations.
- It also outlines students’ responsibilities that they need to fulfill certain standards for their own sake and that of the entire class.
- To provide administrators with interventions that address students’ disruptive conduct.
2.2 Code of Conduct for Teachers
The code of conduct for teachers has been drawn up for the guidance of the teachers, administrators and other supporting staffs in North Valley English Secondary School in the performance of their duties.
- The purpose of code of conduct is to create conducive learning environment and conditions in the school for effective teaching and learning and hold the public confidence upon school and in teachers whom is entrusted the physical, mental, moral, religious and spiritual up-bringing of the young children.
- The code of conduct provides a guideline for the disciplinary authority when it becomes necessary to initiate disciplinary action against erring staffs.
- It provides the comprehensive guidelines, rules and regulations for regulating the conduct of teachers both in and outside the classroom in order to encourage, maintain and emphasize high level of moral conduct.
3. When and where does School Code of Conduct apply?
The School Code of Conduct will be drawn in:
- During regular school hours within school premises
- En route to and from school when students are being transported on a school bus including but not limited to while travelling in any public transportation system.
- At such times and places including, but not necessarily limited to, school sponsored events, field trips, athletic functions, and other activities where school administrators have jurisdiction over students.
- Besides, the code of conduct applies to off ground and after- school hour behavior if there is a nexus to the school and the learning environment at the school is disrupted.
It is expected that all students, teachers and staffs members will exhibit behavior that shows respect for each other, the rights, property and safety of themselves and others.
It is expected that all students, teachers and staff members will honor the rights of others by demonstrating appropriate behaviors within the school premises.
It is expected that all students, teachers and staff members will exhibit honesty with each other with strong moral principles. They will also be honest in the performance of their duties and with each other.
It is expected that all students, teachers and staff members will treat each other and stakeholders in a manner that maintains each other’s dignity.
5. General Guidelines
We welcome to the parents/guardians and other patrons of the community to visit in our school. All visitors are required to follow the following guidelines:
- All visitors must report to security guard before proceeding to the school premises and must receive authorization from the school principal or his/her designee.
- Visitors to the schools must respect the learning environment and maintain proper behavior and decorum.
- All visitors are supposed to be appropriately attired. Disruption of the orderly process of the school is prohibited.
- The principal or his/her designee is authorized to deny access, ban or bar future access, remove or request the removal of any visitor whose behavior is disruptive to the educational/working environment of the school.
- Visitors to the school must present themselves to the school office with proper identification.
- All security codes should be adhered to and abide by visitors.
5.2 Academic Integrity Position
Academic integrity is a fundamental value of teaching, learning and behavior. Maintaining high standards of academic integrity ensures the sustainability of the educational process. Therefore, all school personnel are supposed to commit to and be responsible at all times for demonstrating the six fundamental principles previously identified.
5.3 Inclusive Education
We believe equity and quality in education and therefore support the delivery of inclusive education in our schools by providing support and services to all students. It is our policy that we admit and accommodate all children from diverse background, ethnic groups, geography, social and economic class.
5.4 General Responsibility of Everyone
- Respect all members of the school community.
- Maintain a positive school environment by being responsible, respectful, and cooperative.
- Communicate School Code of Conduct to students and staff.
- Motivate students to live up to the expectations through positive reinforcement.
- Use good judgment to prevent minor incidents from becoming major problems.
5.5 Responsibility of Parents/Guardians
- Respect all members of the school community.
- Respect, understand, and support school rules and regulations.
- Recognize and understand that school personnel must enforce school rules.
- Teach children to respect the rights of others and follow school rules.
- Emphasize the importance of being prepared for school and adhering to school rules to foster academic success.
- Make sure the student attends school daily and on time, properly attired in full uniform and equipped for effective learning to take place.
- Read and review school expectations, guidelines, rules and regulations with family members.
- Cooperate with school officials regarding matters of discipline.
- Seek help and counseling from school in correcting a student’s misbehavior.
- Inform school officials of concerns relative to student behavior and medical conditions that may affect the child’s well-being or performance.
- Promote the healthy lifestyles of their children.
- Supervise and ensure the completion of homework and other assignments and provide an appropriate environment for learning at home.
- Report any suspected child abuse to the school.
- Visit the school time to time and meet class teacher and subject teachers to understand child’s academic performance.
6. Code of Conduct for Students
6.1 Students’ Responsibility
- Respect all members of the school community.
- Understand and comply with school rules, regulations and guidelines mentioned in Code of Conduct for Students as may be promulgated by school management time to time.
- Comply with discipline policy of the school.
- Comply with school policy on attendance, attire and other academic policies of the school.
- Attend school daily on time.
- Actively participate in the academic and extra-curricular activities organized by the school.
- Complete and submit all the assignment and homework in a timely manner.
- Protect and safeguard school properties.
- Seek academic and or counseling support when needed.
- Adhere to the principle of respect, responsibility, integrity, courtesy, productivity and performance.
- Behave in a manner that focuses on academic success.
- All students are required to wear student ID badges in school premises and at such times and places including, but not necessarily limited to, school sponsored events, field trips, athletic functions, and other activities where school administrators have jurisdiction over students. The ID badge must be clearly displayed on the front of the student.
6.2 Standard of Conduct
6.2.1 Alcohol and Tobacco Use
a) It is the policy of North Valley English Secondary School that the school environment shall be smoke, alcohol and drug free in order to create a safe, learning and teaching environment in school. Under this policy, no one shall be permitted to possess or use illegal drugs in the school premises, en route to and from school. It is the duty of all personnel in the school compound to treat the possession or use of tobacco, alcohol, controlled and illicit drugs on school premises, as a serious violation on this policy. Therefore, all personnel are expected to fully abide by this policy and in no way whatsoever, either by word, deed or omission, sanction, encourage or support the possession or use of any illegal, controlled or restricted drugs, tobacco and alcoholic products in school premises. Consistent with this policy, all school personnel shall be encouraged to create drug free, smoke free learning environments.
b) Likewise, possession and use of alcohol is strictly prohibited within the school premises and while travelling to and from school.
c) Smoking and use of any form of tobacco is strictly prohibited within the school premises, en route to and from school. This applies to cigarettes, all smoking tobacco products, all chewing tobacco products like “gutkha” and similar products.
d) Teachers taking a prescribed medication in the form of drug must carry it in the labeled container as issued by a licensed pharmacist and must be prepared to produce it if asked.
Any students, teacher or staff found consuming these products within the school premises, en route to and from school will be reported for disciplinary action immediately. Possession or use of any drugs or narcotics will draw an appropriate law enforcement agency and may result in criminal prosecution.
All students, teachers and staffs must wear the assigned uniform when they come to school. Failure to wear the uniform will result in disciplinary action.